Media Distribution Technology Intern
Distribution Technology & Affiliate Services Intern
Media Technology Services (MTS)
Distribution Architect, Distribution Planning &Design
The role of the Intern, Distribution Planning & Design is a fantastic opportunity for the successful candidate to gain a very specialised skillsets of Broadcast TV Signal Distribution.
The Intern will learn and develop their skillset throughout the placement, assisting and working alongside different members of the team in the development, design and implementation of solutions and technology. In line with business needs for the purposes of TV signal delivery (contribution and distribution) across Viacom’s Distribution Platforms.
The Intern will gain experience and personal development, supporting members of the team and growing with the role and taking on some of the specific responsibilities of an Junior Engineer where applicable and where possible.
This role reports to the Distribution Architect, Distribution Planning &Design.
The Distribution Planning and Design team function reports to the VP Distribution technology and Affiliate Services.
- The Intern will be tasked to support the day to day activity of the senior Engineer.:Perform the hands-on tasks related to research and development activities into distribution and contribution technologies for the purpose of Business Development opportunities and in identifying efficiencies. (examples: contribution, capacity planning, lights out infrastructure, convergence)
- Participate in the undertaking of proofs of concept and fair evaluations to prove technologies to meet current and future business commercial objectives.
- Implement and handover new infrastructure solutions, prepare documentation, document processes and procedures, and other associated activities.
- Support migration efforts to the future infrastructure
- Study the product lifecycle of infrastructure to assure operational availability; specify changes for implementation; gather data and analyse capacity and performance.
- As and when required, participate with a senior member in the support of the in house Distribution Operations and Support Team and participate in problem management for installed solutions providing 3rd line support to in house support teams.
- Continuously update documentation including lessons learned from problem management and ensure that documentation is kept up to date.
- Initiate the implementation of new technologies for their area of the infrastructure.
In addition, the Intern shall be responsible to demonstrate continuous learning by learning through on the job activity:
- specific knowledge transfer sessions with senior members of the global team
- participation in projects within the remit of the Global Distribution Technology and Affiliate Services team
Roles Specific Skills and Attributes
Success to the Internship is the Intern’s demonstration to aspire to specialise in the skillsets of the Distribution Technology and Affiliates Services
Essential Core Technical Skills:
- Possesses an enthusiasm for technology demonstrated through activities at school/college/university/community.
- Demonstrate an appropriate technical ability either through educational qualification or personal experience of at least one of the following: Networking, Knowledge of Broadcast Signals, Knowledge of Software Engineering or any related Engineering discipline.
- Demonstrate the ability to learn and assimilate technical knowledge whether through educational qualifications or otherwise.
- Ability to build and hold working relationships.
- Ability to work with industry acknowledged experts.
- Good written and spoken English and an ability to communicate with associates at all levels.
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work under pressure to perform tasks to deadlines as part of the Internship.
- Ability to use office computer various applications for example, Microsoft Office, Visio, AutoCAD or any equivalent products.
- An attention to detail and a methodical and rigorous approach to tasks.
- Technical knowledge in a related engineering discipline at second year undergraduate level, an appropriate qualification is desirable but not necessary for the Intern.
- Very passionate about technology.
- Desire to learn and assimilate knowledge.
- Demonstrate completion of a small technology project either from a course or hobby.
Any knowledge of DVB, IP Networking, Programming hardware, Satellite Cable or Terrestrial Television, IPTV, broadcast signals or wireless technologies.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. THIS FORM SUMMARISES THE MAIN ASPECTS OF THE JOB BUT DOES NOT COVER ALL THE DUTIES THAT THE JOB HOLDER MAY HAVE TO PERFORM.