Network Schedule Manager – UK Music Pack
Work closely with the VP of Programming and the Director of Scheduling to design the most imaginative and competitive long term scheduling strategies for MTV’s Music Pack of Channels. Ensuring the channels meet their strategic objectives which includes complementary and commercially effective scheduling whilst reflecting the brand values of the channels. This role looks after the day to day management of the MTV Music Pack, ensuring all deadlines and projects are met and managed, ensuring that targets and business objectives are kept on track and the channel strategies are maintained and driven forward.
This role will manage the MTV Music Pack Schedulers. They will be key in managing the long term strategies for the music channels.
Reports to the Director of Scheduling
Scheduling & Strategy
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Scheduling in developing the long-term to mid-term strategies for the MTV Music Channels ensuring these accurately reflect the intentions of VP of Programming.
- Responsible for maintaining the long-term strategies & planners for the MTV Music Pack with the Director of Scheduling
- Approval and communication of MTV Music Pack quarterly templates ensuring they meet their strategic objectives and are as competitive and commercially effective as possible
- Initiating editorial for the music channels whether hosted music programming, longform programming, themed music or general strands in order to achieve best performance possible.
- Developing and Maintaining a windowing strategy from the MTV Music flagship across the rest of the music channels which maximises the effective use of premiere content.
- Ensure that the MTV Music channels compete in the market place, advising on the mix of programming to produce the most competitive schedules possible.
- Ensure that business objectives are kept on track and channel strategies driven forward.
- Ensure that all HD quotas are met and tracked within the rules outlined by the BSkyB agreement.
- Oversee the MTV Music Pack schedules and resolve any issues in a timely fashion. Ensure that schedules are complimentary to each other and avoid duplication, and that any opportunities to share themes are applied.
- Research programmes / music blocks for repeat showings. Research back catalogue of stock and liaising with relevant parties regarding rights.
- Work with the Director of Scheduling and Sky Media to create possible business and sponsorship opportunities within the network of channels.
- Manage the output of MTV stock across all linear channels, and digital services.
- Ensure that all finalised schedules are signed off editorially with line managers.
- Be the representative for the Network Scheduling team at relevant channel editorial meetings. Feed back necessary action and forward planning points.
- Be the first point of call for all editorial queries for the MTV Music Pack of channels.
- Act up to cover Head of Network Scheduling or in times of absence.
- Line manage the MTV Music Pack Schedulers.
Competitor Knowledge and Research
- Monitor the progress of the schedule by reviewing audience figures with the research teams. Ensuring research is reviewed regularly and utilised to properly inform and support editorial scheduling changes & decision making.
- Maintain an up-to-date event calendar to ensure all topical opportunities are maximised within the schedule.
- Commission suitable research projects to enhance scheduling long-term strategies and decision making.
Editorial & Content
- Responsibility for viewing any new IPC stock advising on suitability for the UK market place.
- Responsibility for viewing any Acquisitions advising on suitability and placing across the network of channels.
- Initiating editorial programming & content ideas for the entire network in order to achieve best performance possible.
- Ensure that rights & clearances, contractual restrictions and number of runs are met across the network of stock.
- Ensuring all programme clearance and compliance issues are met within the 10-pack of schedules.
- Communicating all Programming initiatives and forthcoming programming highlights with colleagues in the wider business (PR, Marketing, Comms, Creative, DM, On-Air Planning, Media Planning, Production & Development) plus ensuring necessary external parties (SkyMedia, Platform providers (BSkyB, Virgin, Freeview) receive this info to required deadlines.
- Act as the key point of contact for the operational teams in Amsterdam.
Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrable experience of working within Programming and Scheduling.
- Good knowledge and demonstrable understanding of television ratings measurements.
- An understanding of Rights & Clearances and contractual restrictions.
- An awareness of the Ofcom restrictions and guidelines
- An interest in music is desirable.
- Must be highly organised and self motivated.
- Must have the ability to multi task and deal with a fluctuating and often heavy workload.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- The ability to work as part of a team is important.
- Self-Confidence and good communication skills with people of all levels.
- High degree of professionalism.
Core MTV Competencies:
- Is direct and honest in dealing with others
- Treats all people with respect and fairness
- Acts consistently with their words
- Follows ethical business practices
- Works effectively through job and organisation changes
Deals constructively with frustration and stress, maintaining a professional and positive manner