Deputy Director of Content
RTÉ (Raidió Teilifís Éireann) is Ireland's national public-service media organisation. A leader in Irish media, RTÉ provides comprehensive, cost-effective, free-to-air multi-media services to the public in Ireland and interested audiences internationally.
A new vision and strategy for RTÉ will position the organisation to champion culture in Ireland, captivate audiences with trusted and challenging content, and celebrate Ireland's rich diversity.
A major restructuring of RTÉ's content commissioning, production and distribution systems will be central to achieving this vision, putting the audience at the centre of everything RTÉ does, creating greater efficiencies, and positioning RTÉ for the future.
To achieve this new vision RTÉ is seeking to fill the following role in the newly formed Content area: Deputy Director of Content, RTÉ, who will be a key member of the senior leadership team. The Deputy Director of Content will be responsible for organising all aspects of television, radio and digital in-house and commissioned content.
Reporting into the Director of Content, this role will deliver content in line with the schedule plan and associated budgets, with programmes that are distinctively Irish, original and diverse beyond the schedules of commercial media, which maintain and strengthen RTÉ’s competitive position, and which set the benchmark for quality broadcasting in Ireland.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Deputise for the Director of Content in matters editorial, financial and managerial
- Managing and coordinating the work of the content division
- Deliver RTÉ’s content into agreed schedule slots, to a high quality, on budget, achieving the target share for each programme, while carrying full editorial and legal responsibility for all RTÉ home-produced production
- Ensure RTÉ’s output meets RTÉ’s obligations as Irelands Public Service Media , addresses the needs of key stakeholders, reflects culture in Ireland and contemporary society
- Prepare, monitor and control all output annual production schedules, budgets and people plans
- Build and promote an open, collaborative and creative culture which encourages and inspires innovative and distinctive output
- Lead the development and implementation of overall KPIs for new programming concepts and content to refresh schedules, engage audiences and maintain share
- Ensure consistent implementation of RTÉ’s strategy and policies in accordance with our statutory obligations and regulations
- Lead a comprehensive people planning and performance management function across the Content area
- Ensure effective utilisation of production resources and that budgetary and performance targets are met in accordance with the annual budgets
- Effectively represent RTÉ content interests with external bodies in Irish and international content sectors, including Screen Producers Ireland (SPI), Irish Film Board, IBEC Audio Visual Federation, Broadcasting Commission of Ireland, EBU, EU Media Programme, Irish arts and cultural organisations, international broadcasters and the Irish media
The successful candidate will have a significant proven track record as a senior leader in an editorial, production or content delivery role with an exceptionally strong understanding of Public Service Media and considerable experience of managing large creative teams. We are looking for a collaborative, inclusive and engaging leader who has excellent interpersonal and communications skills to manage and develop this area in conjunction with the Director of Content.
You will be results focused with a proven ability of making judgements on matters of editorial sensitivity and have experience of instigating and managing change. You will have the ability to remain fully informed in a dynamic and challenging environment, while at the same time having a clear view of what actions are required in order to achieve immediate and long term corporate objectives. An excellent understanding of new platforms and technologies is essential for this role.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity please apply in strictest confidence by submitting your Curriculum Vitae and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role - please submit as one document when completing this online application process
• Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday October 16th 2017.
• RTÉ is an equal opportunities employer.
• Appointment will be fixed term for three years.
For more information on this role, closing date and application procedure, please click here rte.ie/vacancies