Group Head of Arts and Culture
RTÉ (Raidió Teilifís Éireann) is Ireland's national public-service media organisation. A leader in Irish media, RTÉ provides comprehensive, cost-effective, free-to-air multi-media services to the public in Ireland and interested audiences internationally.
A new vision and strategy for RTÉ will position the organisation to champion culture in Ireland, captivate audiences with trusted and challenging content, and celebrate Ireland's rich diversity.
A major restructuring of RTÉ's content commissioning, production and distribution systems will be central to achieving this vision, putting the audience at the centre of everything RTÉ does, creating greater efficiencies, and positioning RTÉ for the future.
To achieve this new vision RTÉ is seeking to fill the following role in the newly formed Content area: Group Head of Arts and Culture, RTÉ, reporting into the Deputy Director of Content. The Group Head of Arts and Culture will have overall responsibility for the development of RTÉ’s arts and culture content and output
This post will set the content agenda for RTÉ’s arts and culture offering and will work closely with the Director of Content and Deputy Director of Content, Group Heads and production resources to achieve agreed objectives in relation to RTÉ’s arts and culture content and output including RTÉ’s Orchestras, Choirs and Quartets and Lyric fm’s content and output. There will be a number of direct reports reporting into the role.
In addition the Group Head of Arts and Culture will also liaise and collaborate closely with the Group Head of Young Peoples Programming, Group Head of Factual, and Group Head of Entertainment and Music, to ensure that synergies between these genres and arts and culture are identified and developed for the benefit of our audiences
Key Responsibilities will include:
- All matters concerning arts and culture output across all of RTÉ’s platforms, leading and co-ordinating all efforts to ensure RTÉ maximises the impact of the unique range of arts and culture content that RTÉ offers its audiences
- Originate, develop and deliver all arts and culture programming through a combination of RTÉ’s in-house, commissioning through independent producers, and through the securing of co-production arrangements with other broadcasters and/or funders
- Help to maximise RTÉ’s share of audience in all areas, delivering programming of the highest editorial quality while maintaining our public service remit
- Take ownership of RTÉ’s relationship with the arts and cultural sector and the cultural institutions of the state
- Develop strategic partnerships and broker agreements that bring arts and culture to a broad-based audience, ensure inclusivity, and nurture artistic talent at all levels in Irish society
- Be responsible for the dissemination of the arts across all regions and sectors of the community and for the pursuit of RTÉ’s diversity strategy in this regard
- Develop new, innovative and creative solutions to business challenges
- Assess and oversee the internal production processes, ensuring an infrastructure that facilitates a creative environment and timely delivery of projects
- Provide creative and collaborative leadership across the arts and culture genre
- Reflect a more diverse society in our arts and culture content
- Develop large scale cross-platform projects
- Manage resources in accordance with the annual programme and business plan and agreed performance KPIs
- Prepare, monitor and control arts and culture programme production schedule, budget and people plan
- Assist RTÉ in devising organisational policy and strategy documents in a pro-active way, to reflect Ireland’s changing demographics and the changes in audiences trends
The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding and deep knowledge of arts and culture together with an understanding of the target audience’s needs and expectations, putting our audiences at the heart of all we do. You will have significant senior leadership experience in a similar editorial or production role with a strong understanding of Public Service Media and the ability to lead and develop large creative teams. You must be capable of building excellent relationships with both internal and external stakeholders and have an ability to transform ideas and proposals into practical reality. Experience of overseeing significant budgets and understanding key financial drivers for RTÉ will be essential for this role. You will have excellent organisational and planning skills and have the ability to lead and deliver change through people.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity please apply in strictest confidence by submitting your Curriculum Vitae and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role - please submit as one document when completing his online application process.
• Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 16th October 2017
• RTÉ is an equal opportunities employer.
• Appointment will be fixed term for three years.
For more information on this role, closing date and application procedure, please click here rte.ie/vacancies