Group Head of Factual
RTÉ (Raidió Teilifís Éireann) is Ireland's national public-service media organisation. A leader in Irish media, RTÉ provides comprehensive, cost-effective, free-to-air multi-media services to the public in Ireland and interested audiences internationally.
A new vision and strategy for RTÉ will position the organisation to champion culture in Ireland, captivate audiences with trusted and challenging content, and celebrate Ireland's rich diversity.
A major restructuring of RTÉ's content commissioning, production and distribution systems will be central to achieving this vision, putting the audience at the centre of everything RTÉ does, creating greater efficiencies, and positioning RTÉ for the future.
To achieve this new vision RTÉ is seeking to fill the following role in the newly formed Content area: Group Head of Factual, RTÉ, reporting into the Deputy Director of Content. The Group Head of Factual will have overall responsibility for the development of RTÉ’s factual, documentaries, lifestyle, religion, science, education.
The Group Head will set the content agenda for RTÉ’s factual offering and will work closely with the Director of Content and Deputy Director of Content, Genre Heads, and production resources, to achieve agreed objectives in relation to RTÉ’s factual content and output. There will be a number of direct reports reporting into the Group Head of Factual.
Key responsibilities will include:
- All matters concerning factual output across all of RTÉ’s platforms, leading and coordinating all efforts to ensure RTÉ maximises the impact of the unique range of factual content that RTÉ offers its audiences
- Originate, develop and deliver of all factual programming through a combination of RTÉ’s in-house, commissioning through independent producers, and through the securing of co-production arrangements with other broadcasters and/or funders
- Help to maximise RTÉ’s share of audience in all areas, delivering programming of the highest editorial quality while maintaining our public service remit
- Maintain high editorial standards, accuracy and impartiality ,and manage legal risk and appraisal
- Develop new, innovative and creative solutions in response to business challenges
- Lead and innovate in how we share our factual content, along with increasing RTÉ’s lighter popular factual output and documentaries
- Assess and oversee the internal production processes, ensuring an infrastructure that facilitates a creative environment and timely delivery of projects
- Provide creative and collaborative leadership across the factual genre
- Manage resources in accordance with the annual programme and business plan, and agreed performance measures
- Prepare, monitor and control the factual content production schedule, budget and people plan
- Source and develop new on-air and off air talent
- Assist RTÉ in devising policy and strategic documents in a pro-active way, to reflect Ireland’s changing demographics and changes in audiences trends
- Reflect a more diverse society in our factual content
- Develop and deliver more cross-RTÉ event-based strands
The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of the factual genre and of target audiences needs and expectations, putting our audiences at the heart of all we do. You will have significant senior leadership experience in a similar editorial or production role with a strong understanding of Public Service Media and the ability to lead and develop large creative teams. You must be capable of building excellent relationships with both internal and external stakeholders and have an ability to transform ideas and proposals into practical reality. Experience of overseeing significant budgets and understanding key financial drivers for RTÉ will be essential for this role. You will have excellent organisational and planning skills and have the ability to lead and deliver change through people.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity please apply in strictest confidence by submitting your Curriculum Vitae and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role - please submit as one document when completing his online application process.
• Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday October 16th 2017.
• RTÉ is an equal opportunities employer.
• Appointment will be fixed term for three years.
For more information on this role, closing date and application procedure, please click here rte.ie/vacancies