SENIOR SCRIPTED LAWYER, FremantleMedia UK
Head of Legal and Business Affairs, FremantleMedia UK
Stephen Street (attendance at other sites in London and Manchester as necessary)
The Company is seeking to recruit a senior scripted lawyer to join its Legal & Business Affairs Department to work across some of our scripted content production.
FremantleMedia is one of the largest creators, producers and distributors of television brands in the world. It is responsible for many of the world’s highest rated prime time entertainment, drama, serial drama, factual entertainment and kids & family programming, with capabilities that extend from content creation to licensing, digital and branded entertainment, gaming and home entertainment.
The FremantleMedia Group is the content production arm of the RTL Group, Europe’s largest television and radio broadcast company, with interests in 31 television channels and 30 radio stations in 10 European countries. RTL Group is part of Bertelsmann AG, an integrated media and entertainment company that commands leading positions in the world’s major media markets.
The FremantleMedia Group (which includes FremantleMedia International, FremantleMedia Digital & Branded Entertainment, Fremantle Family Entertainment, FremantleMedia North America, UFA, FremantleMedia UK, FremantleMedia Australia, Ludia, and Original Productions, among others) has an outstanding global network with operations in 28 countries, creating over 8,500 hours of programming a year, rolling out more than 60 formats and airing 400 programmes a year worldwide. The company also distributes more than 20,000 hours of content in over 200 territories.
Based in London, this role reports into the Head of Legal and Business Affairs for FremantleMedia UK.
This is an excellent senior role, working at the forefront of one of the world’s most exciting Media
- Drafting and negotiating all forms of development and underlying rights agreements (including book and script options, writing and format deals and co-development deals);
- Negotiating development agreements and commissioning agreements with broadcasters;
- Agreeing financing arrangements with FremantleMedia International (“FMI”) and other financiers including applying for and advising on tax credits and other available screen funding,
- Liaising with the Head of Legal and Business Affairs, International Co-production in respect of co-production deals with international broadcasters and platforms;
- Working closely with the MDs and Heads of Production of the scripted productions;
- Working with the production team to set up and provide legal and business affairs support on productions (including cast, crew, director and producer deals and agreements, production packs);
- Complying scripts and programmes and providing clearance, copyright, compliance and other legal advice as required;
- Assisting in the negotiation of programme-related secondary, DVD, ancillary and new media agreements;
- Assisting in production set-up including advice on Equity, Writers Guild, location and crew templates
- Liaising with Rights Department to provide information to Fremantle’s Licensing and Distribution divisions
- Liaising and working with other parts of the business as appropriate (such as Global Drama, FMI and Rights);
- Contributing to the FMUK legal and business affairs team and in particular the scripted team (including know-how and precedents); and
- Maintaining good working relationships with agents, broadcasters, PACT, other production companies, business affairs teams, lawyers and guilds.
- Highly experienced lawyer with strong academic background
- Solid experience of scripted television production (including managing deals with broadcasters, agents and distributors); and
- Strong working knowledge of UK television industry (including the broadcasters’ terms of trade, WGGB and Equity) and current issues affecting the industry, particularly in relation to the scripted area.
- Highly organised and able to plan workload, multi-task, prioritise and work to deadlines;
- A level of interpersonal skills sufficient to enable the post holder to establish credibility and effective working relationships with senior internal and external contacts
- Self-motivated, pro-active and able to work autonomously, use initiative and take responsibility for projects;
- Able to balance the commercial needs of the business with the creative requirements while keeping within the framework of guild agreements and legal and regulatory constraints and in accordance with standard industry practice;
- Excellent communication skills, confident and personable;
- Able to co-operate with colleagues and delegate to and supervise more junior members of the team;
- Proven track record and you must be able to demonstrate a pro-active and solutions orientated of approach. The business will turn to the post holder regarding the structure of deals and will value their commercial and business judgment.
- Excellent attention to detail;
- The ability to remain confident and assured in difficult circumstances, and to possess the resilience and stamina to sustain performance, particularly when under pressure; and
- The ability to keep abreast of professional, legal and working practice changes.
Everyone who works with the Company is expected to be flexible regarding their duties. A job description is not an exhaustive list of what an employee is expected to do as roles may change and evolve over time.
To apply: please send covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for SENIOR SCRIPTED LAWYER, FremantleMedia UK
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly