Senior Research Manager
Job Title: Senior Research Manager (12 month Maternity Cover)
Department: Youth & Entertainment UKNEE Cluster Consumer Insights & Analytics
Line Manager: Director Youth & Entertainment UKNEE Consumer Insights & Analytics
The Consumer Insights & Analytics team sits at the heart of the Youth and Entertainment brands, critical for driving MTV and Comedy Central’s creative and commercial success.
This pivotal role will be responsible for managing a team (intern, analyst and senior analyst) in the supply of performance analysis for both brands across their linear and non-linear platforms. As youth focused brands this role will also responsible for understanding, and helping the rest of the business understand our target audience, analyzing trends acting as a trends expert for our youth audience.
This varied role acts as a support function in key business decisions across all departments (e.g. Programming, Marketing, Digital and Strategy) to maximize audience delivery and subsequently commercial revenues. The role will also be responsible for building relationships with these areas of the business, research teams in our Cluster countries, and with the other brands in the UK VIMN business (Nickelodeon and Channel 5).
- Manage a team (intern, analyst and senior analyst) in the consistent and timely delivery of high quality output, and work with the Y&E UKNEE Cluster Research Director to develop members of the team.
- To manage and deliver excellent and insightful primary (quant and qual) research projects to inform all areas of the business about our brands, audiences and viewer behaviours.
- To be pro-actively in suggesting projects to help grow share of viewing and brand awareness’ Carry out in depth and timely editorial analysis of our linear and non-linear channels, applying knowledge gained via primary research at all appropriate opportunities.
- Maintain the forecasts for our linear and non-linear outputs.
- Keep abreast of audience, media and content trends and have an aptitude for trends spotting and analysis and respond to ad hoc requests in this space
- Regular performance data gathering and reporting across TV ratings and digital & social analytics, and the development of best practice within this discipline.
- Work closely with International ad-sales research team to ensure a collaborative approach
- To develop close and knowledgeable relationships with relevant departments (e.g. Programming, Marketing, PR, Internal Comms, Digital and Strategy).
- Work with the Consumer Insights & Analytics teams across the UKNEE cluster to ensure appropriate communication, reporting and to maximize audiences and brand understanding.
- To build relationships with the other brands in the UK VIMN business (Nickelodeon and Channel 5).
- Limited international travel may be required.
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE – ESSENTIAL
- Experience working in a broadcaster or media brand in a research capacity, ideally already in a senior research manager role.
- Strong and proven experience with quantitative and qualitative primary research incl. design, implementation and analysis as well as alternative and competing research methodologies
- Solid research experience in TV ratings or digital data analytics.
- Good working knowledge of data systems and how to interpret the resultant information e.g. AdvantEdge/TechEdge, Omniture, Comscore, Synthesio, Sysomos and Global Web Index.
- Strong analytics skills with the ability to look beyond numbers and interpret findings into objective yet meaningful results & audience trends
- Natural affinity and passion for all aspects of youth audience and culture.
- Experience presenting and articulating insights & trends to internal and external audiences
- Highly organised and ability to work under pressure, handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Good knowledge of & interest in competitive TV landscape and emerging media technology
- Good working knowledge of advanced Microsoft Office packages e.g. macro writing & pivot tables
- Experience managing and developing more junior team members.
- Adept in communicating with stakeholders at all levels and confident in discussing research ideas with senior stakeholders.
- Ideally would also have experience working with teams and working knowledge of TV markets in other countries.
- Confident and enthusiastic.
- Pro-active and goes the extra mile.
- Enthusiastic, inquisitive and keen to learn; able to ask perceptive questions.
- Calm under pressure and flexible to emerging challenges and changing priorities.
- Passionate about using data to inform decisions. Highly numerate with strong attention to detail.
- To work with autonomy, and taking responsibility for your own workload.