Vice President, Animation Production & Development
Provide creative and strategic leadership across all animation production and development within Nickelodeon’s International team.
Leading all day to day affairs in the animated space for Nickelodeon International. Managing and nurturing Production and Development Manager as well as any external teams across, development and production and ensuring that content achieves strategic objectives for the network. Application of in depth knowledge of the branded content business for the 2-12 audience, maintaining of contact base with the kids global industry (including talent, producers, toy companies, broadcasters, competitors etc) as well a concrete understanding of the requirements within the domains of producing, licensing, merchandising and financing. Internal pitching of development projects to all relevant LOBs both in terms of new content and renewals. Understanding of various platforms and formats with overall focus on maximum exploitation of animated content.
Anticipating the changes/challenges across production and development by leading rather than managing. Delegating clearly and understanding broader picture on projects and outreach (shorts, RFPs, showrunner search) allowing for strategy over literal involvement. Adapting influence to suit our projects; assigning others to take on workload where appropriate. Facilitating cross-region interaction and encouraging contribution from other teams. Appropriating talent and resources across regions, making the most out of our collective knowledge and setting up productions that benefit us creatively but also make use of regional budget spend and/or tax breaks. Expanding on our networks by speaking at events, speaking internally, hosting workshops and outreach. Encourages creative risk taking by responding to mistakes as an opportunity for creative learning.
- Leading creative/editorial vision across all animated projects on the Nickelodeon International slate, creatively leading teams, co-producers and partners as required from concept to ‘green-light’
- Servings as “creative lead” for our projects ensuring the right teams are in place for strongest possible outcome; troubleshooting upcoming issues, delivering content on time, shifting project perspectives to suite needs.
- Ensuring that each project fulfils its obligations to the network; set in motion the strongest team to deliver on time and to highest standard.
- Setting in motion avenues to unearthing new talent (script writers, illustrators, studios, producers) who would be ideal partners on shows/concepts
- Where appropriate, leading the negotiation of contracts and deal terms with creative talent/new hires/partners and studios
- Working closely with manager to maintain a steady stream of new projects, devising new outreach initiatives and continuing to adapt and refine the existing shorts program.
- Exploring other opportunities for outreach and always seeking out ways of making the development process more urgent and seamless.
- Where relevant, internal pitching of projects to senior management; ‘in-selling’ projects throughout the development process and keeping internal teams up to date and interested.
- Pushing projects through the research process, applying data and feedback to projects and knowing when to ‘kill’ projects which are not working.
- Where appropriate, leading the negotiation and agreeing on budget and ensuring that all creative requirements are met
- Leading creative editorial capacity across all animated productions ensuring quality is delivered from creative partners, managing the producers for each project
- Sourcing of studio and creative partners to ensure the best quality product for the property in question
- Adjusting production teams/key staff where necessary (removing/changing key studio staff if and when is appropriate)
- Maintaining relationships with and sourcing studios and creative partners to ensure the best quality product for the property in question
- Pre-empting potential problems with productions, providing honest and transparent updates along with clear solutions and resolutions
- Liaising closely with all LOBs involved in any productions to champion the product and ensure that creative demands are met
- Working with and updating teams in the US and other regions where relevant.
- Working closely with all production houses/writers/voice artists and any other creative talent to ensure smooth running of entire operation
- Clarifies strategy and its practical implications for own and other teams.
- Sets priorities based on how well different activities or initiatives support overall strategic direction
- Creates compelling and clear vision; explains bigger picture and inspires confidence in the mission
- Develops strategies and goals based on business needs and priorities
- Translates strategies into objectives and actions
- Understands the long term implications of decisions
- Develops vision/mission for department and self
- Develops solutions that drive long-term strategy and goals according to business needs and priorities
- Translates long-term strategies, into objectives and actions
- Suggests and effectively facilitates large scale change
Planning and Organisation
- Delivers as promised, avoids overpromising. If circumstances change promptly communicates impact and offers solution.
- Prioritizes work based on what’s important
- Keeps work and information organized for easy access
- Pays attention to the detail and accuracy of their work
- Knows limitations, and asks for help when overextended
- Develops effective project plans to achieve goals
- Manages projects and resources effectively
- Runs effective meetings where people are clear on decision made, next steps and accountability
- Establishes medium to long-range complex project plans to achieve the broader function or cross function objectives
- Sets the standards for detail and accuracy within the department
- Puts brand first and understands when to cut losses on particular projects
- Possesses the business skills and knowledge that are specific to the production and development area
- Has a global understanding of the issues and development of the business
- Anticipates the potential impact on own and other areas of the business
- Technical Expertise
- Has expert technical expertise in own area and broad knowledge of other disciplines within and across other functions
- Knowledgeable in particular and related functions and strong understanding of relevant industry issue
- Seeks to improve performance of own area at a strategic level
- Addresses issues and problems affecting the business in a timely manner
- Persistent and resourceful in ensuring business areas deliver on their commitments
- Uses business opportunities to develop and hone skills, knowledge and behaviour, particularly leadership skills
- Uses the contribution of all group/ team members to develop value-added solutions; enables group members to create powerful solutions by building on each other’s ideas
- Develops an environment of mutual confidence and co-operation
- Creates formal networks with key decision makers internally and influential external players
- Is open with own views, feelings and thoughts. Enables others to be open too
- Makes presentations at a senior management level and shares concepts, vision and ideas
- Focuses on key points in communications
- Makes complex/ technical information clear
- Actively listens to others and considers own body language
- Seeks to understand other people’s perspective
Influencing and Negotiating
- Influences strategic and other issues that affect the business internally and externally.
- Negotiates effectively to achieve the desired outcome at a strategic level
- Presents ideas in a tactful and convincing manner
- Understands and addresses others' interests and concerns
- Uses different approaches for different audiences
- Resolves disagreements and conflict with others constructively
- Builds support for ideas through persuasion and consensus-building
Management and Leadership
- Develops self and others – incorporates ‘learning’ rather than ‘blaming’ approach.
- Establishes trust and credibility
- Provides leadership for own department and work teams in broad functional areas to solve complex and divers issues
- Effectively manages own area consisting of people with diverse styles, background and views
- Encourages an inclusive and collaborative environment
- Ensures that performance reviews are effectively carried out annually within each function
- Analyse overall training needs for own area and consult with HR to address critical issues
- Coaches and provides feedback to manager level
- Encourage a climate of continuous learning and knowledge sharing within the functions
- Integrating manager who provides leadership for work groups across multiple disciplines/channels/regions within own department
- Develops vision for the department and accountable for projects and programmes, including prioritization and planning
- Focuses on influencing departmental strategy in the mid to long-term
- Implements corporate strategy
- Sets department strategies consistent with corporate strategies
- Ensures compliance with corporate policies
- Reports to the most senior role within a major function for a business segment
- Impacts corporate performance indirectly
Integrity and Composure
- Direct and honest in dealing with others
- Treats all people with respect and fairness
- Acts consistently with their words
- Follows ethical business practice
- Works effectively through job and organizational challenges
Viacom Core Competencies:
Communicates and Listens
Influences and Negotiates
Manages the Work
Composure and Flexibility
Acts with Integrity
Thinking and Problem Solving
Develops creative products and solutions
Judgment and analysis
Management and Leadership
Communicates effectively with employees
Creates a positive and inclusive working environment
Defines, directs and delegates work
Develops people through feedback and coaching
Passion & Optimism
Teamwork & Transparency
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. THIS FORM SUMMARISES THE MAIN ASPECTS OF THE JOB BUT DOES NOT COVER ALL THE DUTIES THAT THE JOB HOLDER MAY HAVE TO PERFORM.