Development Assistant Producer
Job Title: Assistant Producer, Development
Department: Entertainment & Reality, Elephant House Studios
Reporting to: Director of Entertainment & Reality
Location: Hawley Crescent, Camden, London
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Elephant House Studios, the in-house production arm of Channel 5, produces nearly 125 hours of television each year for Channel 5, MTV, Comedy Central and Viacom.
We also pitch to the wider UK market, and are building relationships with and creating ideas for all major broadcasters.
With this in mind, we are looking to hire an experienced Assistant Producer to work within our Development team, helping to create, develop and pitch our next raft of formats, particularly in the genres of Entertainment & Reality and Comedy.
The role will be to help us grow our development slate significantly. You’ll help us conceive and write up ideas, including the creation of Powerpoint-format documents, and shoot and edit sizzle reels and promos for the Viacom Channels and the wider television market.
You will also be working closely with the existing Development team to further develop ideas currently on the slate.
Though this role specialises in Entertainment and Reality and Comedy, we work as one Development team, and the chosen candidate will be expected to contribute to ideas for our factual slate too.
- Working alongside the Senior Development Producer in our Entertainment & Reality team to originate and develop series and specials tailored to the requirements of each Broadcaster
- Thorough research from initial idea to writing full pitch documents ready to pitch to Commissioning Editors and Channel Controllers
- Planning and running creative ideation meetings
- Helping the team to build and maintain strong working relationships with Commissioning Editors and Channel Controllers at Channel 5, MTV, Comedy Central and the wider UK market
- Helping to identify on-screen talent, and developing relationships with agents and on-screen talent where appropriate
- Incepting and helping to create hit formats which can be sold internationally and which have the opportunity for commercial exploitation
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE:
- Significant experience working in Development and/or Production, across a broad range of programmes and series within the Entertainment & Reality genres
- A Creative and dynamic team player full of ideas, with a handle on what works for the different channels and their target demographics
- Good working knowledge of Powerpoint and the creation of format documents, basic desktop editing and preferably shooting (of promos and sizzle reels) skills
- An excellent writer, with the ability to write great pitch documents
- A proven hit rate contributing to commissioned ideas for a range of channels
- A working knowledge of the demands and aspirations of Channel 5 and Viacom, both in the UK and internationally
- Experience of creating, shaping and developing formats, including (if possible) both location-based reality series and studio-based entertainment shows
- The ability to work to a consistent high standard as a permanent part of our Development team, working with them to ensure that targets are met
- A good working knowledge of on-screen talent, so that we can develop and grow more brands with relevant talent attached
- A proven ability to work across multiple projects simultaneously
- A basic knowledge of international markets, helping us to ensure that the programmes we that make are sellable and lend themselves to commercial exploitation
At Viacom, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure that Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work. This should be embedded in our recruitment practices to ensure we hire the best talent and enrich our mix. So when you are hiring for your team, think outside the box, be open minded and champion difference.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. This spec summaries the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform.