BBC Content brings world-class creativity to our screens through some of the BBC's biggest brands. We are made up of a number of genres and services, including some of the best creative Commissioning and Business Operations teams from entertainment, comedy, drama, factual, daytime and sport.
The division brings together channels and commissioning with TV and Digital production to provide the best television and online content, wherever and whenever audiences want it. We commission a range of high-quality content, including some of the UK’s most loved programmes such as Blue Planet, EastEnders, Peaky Blinders and Strictly Come Dancing.
The Head of Business is a key member of the Chief Operating Officer's management team in BBC Content. They have accountability for the commercial strategy for the genre, leading on financial decisions and supplier relationships as well as providing overall strategic business leadership.
We are seeking a Head of Business to manage and develop the commercial and funding activity for our Factual and Daytime output, maintaining a balance between short term requirements and the BBC’s longer-term opportunities and interests.
Working closely with the Commissioning Controllers and leading a wider business team, you will manage the overall genre budget, targets and performance – delivering programming across the full spectrum of Factual genres to a number of Channels and platforms.
You will take a lead role in key deals for genre commissions and partnerships, forming and managing relationships with producers, co-producers and other external partners.
You will be responsible for tracking and achieving key performance indicators for the genre, particularly supply targets (e.g. out of London production), commercial revenue and contestability.
Are you the right candidate?
· Extensive media knowledge and interest in customer behaviours, market trends and content strategy
· Proven commercial expertise in complex deal-making and partnerships - across commissioning, distribution and/or production
· Excellent financial acumen, and an entrepreneurial approach to identifying and delivering business innovation and change
· Strong leadership skills, with a range of experience inspiring and managing teams to do their best work
· A collaborative approach with the ability to build positive relationships with a range of stakeholders
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
· Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
· Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
· Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.