NBC Universal seeks to add a Manager to our Advertising and Program Standards department. As a Manager, you will work to ensure that programs and advertisements comply with internal and external standards, laws, and regulations while being cognizant of public policy and community acceptability considerations. The ideal candidate will be highly professional with a thoughtful, proactive nature, strong people skills, and the ability to solve problems creatively and collaboratively. As a Manager, you will be expected to spot issues, think quickly, and make accurate decisions to maintain the integrity of the Network. You will also be expected to think creatively and take the lead on projects that improve the way the department functions. This position reports to the Director, Advertising and Program Standards in New York, New York, but can be based in either New York or Los Angeles. However, as we are a bicoastal department, you will be expected to partner effectively with colleagues on both coasts.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Review advertisements for NBC Cable properties, including children's advertising, and NBC Broadcast from concept to final edit to ensure that they meet internal brand standards and regulatory requirements.
- Review a variety of scripted and unscripted programs at all stages of production to ensure compliance with broadcast requirements for air on NBC.
- Review creative materials for advertising and programming, providing clearly articulated verbal and written notes and realistic, constructive and practical guidance to clients consistent with NBCUniversal's standards, and FTC, FDA, CARU, and FCC rules and regulations.
- Negotiate and collaborate with internal and external parties in the creative community, including programming executives, writers, producers, and creative agencies, as well as NBCUniversal Ad Sales, advertising agency representatives, and legal counsel.
- Identify standards and other corporate issues and make sensitive contextual judgments concerning content.
- Evaluate a wide range of marketing, scientific and other data submitted in support of advertising claims.
- Operate broadcast delay mechanism for live programming as needed, including after regular working hours, during holidays and on weekends.
- Assist with the review of content for non-broadcast platforms, from time to time, and provide guidance in an advisory capacity to business affairs, legal and marketing, as needed.
- Proactively monitor and analyze department systems and processes and develop and implement innovative ideas which improve the way we work.
- BA/BS degree in a related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in Advertising and/or Program Standards.
- Proven success as a project leader.
- Masters or advanced degree.
- Experience in children's advertising.
- Experience in cable and broadcast standards.
- Ability to easily adapt to changing priorities, while juggling multiple responsibilities.
- Experienced people manager. Ability to teach and mentor others.
- Excellent negotiation and time management skills, with superior attention to detail.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently.
- Effective team-player with good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to make thoughtful, quick decisions in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong familiarity with PIX, MediaVu and/or MediaQurator.