Purpose of Position:
Assist Director, Communications, in the creation, execution and administration of publicity plans for USTA Community Tennis business unit initiatives and activities. Help develop and place key message points for Community Tennis in traditional (sports) and non-traditional (non-sports) media. Create/write publicity materials for Community TennisMajor Duties:OVERALL
- Help manage efforts to generate publicity for the USTA's mission to promote and develop the growth of tennis (i.e., stories of increased access points for play, highlight positive industry news, promote key points to key target audiences). Major initiatives include Net Generation and all major youth tennis programs.
- Interact on a daily basis with Community Tennis heads and managers to properly publicize their efforts and assist them in reaching their goals
- Expand and cultivate national and local media contacts (print, broadcast, digital) for story placement on USTA initiatives and general tennis news
- Maximize exposure of community tennis efforts through USTA in-house vehicles
- Help manage PR firms to maximize placement of community tennis stories throughout the year
USTA NATIONAL CAMPUS
- Script strategic communications plan for Net Generation
- Serve as Lead Publicist for all Net Generation programming
- Lead and manage outside public relations agency efforts on Net Generation
- Serve as department voice in all Net Generation meetings
- Develop strong relationship with Net Gen marketing team to ensure integrated communications program is put in place.
- Emphasize the health and social benefits of the game for children and families
- Manage all public relations aspects of USTA National Campus activities
- Attend National Campus management meetings to ensure department is represented.
- Manage event coordination and publicity for major events at the National Campus
- Develop unique story ideas to generate national stories for print and television outlets for the National Campus
- Leverage US Open activities for generation of Community Tennis stories focusing on Net Generation activities at the US Open
- Direct publicity strategies for food, fashion and celebrity initiatives at the US Open.
- Organize and run annual pre-US Open media food event
- Investigate all community tennis and Net Gen related content in the ESPN broadcast
- Incorporate multicultural outreach to African-American, Hispanic, and Asian populations
Qualifications / Other:
- Provide year-round counsel and support for section communications directors regarding special projects and general assistance
- Unearth local unsung hero stories with assistance from the section communications director.
- Candidate should have SIX years experience in public/media relations field.
- Strong writing skills, ability to develop story angles, experience in pitching stories and background in working with video production.
- Strong local and national media contacts a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the capability to multi-task on projects.
- Knowledge of sports and the tennis industry.
The ability to facilitate communications with the communications representatives at the 17 USTA sections.