Job Title: Multi Skilled Operator, Milkshake!
Department: Milkshake!, Channel 5
Reporting To: Senior Multi Skilled Operator, Milkshake!
Location: Hawley Crescent, Camden
Direct reports: None
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Milkshake! is the #1 commercial children’s preschool block that broadcasts every morning on Channel 5. Milkshake! also sits on My5 and Amazon via More Milkshake!, in a bi-monthly magazine, on social media, as consumer products and a touring stage show. Milkshake’s core kid demo is 2-5 years, with ad demos of 16-34yr and ABC1s.
The Multi Skilled Operator works in all technical areas of Milkshake’s programming output for the daily linear and non-linear transmission that deliver on the editorial and commercial objectives of the brand. This will include Gallery and Studio operations - lighting, vision and camera control, sound mixing, vision mixing, transmission control and directing, and on Location Shoots – camera operator and sound recordist and occasional directing. They are required to edit material and deliver for transmission to meet Broadcast deadlines. The role also covers digital and social content production including recording and shooting material, editing and producing graphics for short form content and promotions.
Ideally they will have a pre-school editorial and creative view and technical experience in a studio or on location environment.
Purpose of the role:
- Responsible for all technical services (camera, sound, lighting, vision mixing) in the studio and on location to deliver content for linear and non-linear platform broadcast
- To edit content and create graphics
- To direct studio and location shoots as required
- To strengthen the Milkshake! brand on and off air, and across multiple digital platforms to build audience interaction, views and engagement
The ideal candidate:
- Passionate and creative about television production
- Technical experience working in a studio, gallery or on location environment
- Is calm and confident in approach, with excellent communication skills
- Has a good understanding of Milkshake! content and how to create content for pre-school audiences on all platforms
Multi Skilled Operator is responsible for all technical services, editing and graphics production, directing content.
- Working with the Producer and Milkshake! production team to deliver all studio output and initiatives for social production including recorded links, shorts, promotions to drive the content priorities and ratings
- Managing and preparing all media for the pre-records with clocks, graphics, clips, sound bites and inserting promos into the continuity links
- Responsible for setting up the studio, gallery, cameras, lighting, sound and liaising with set contractors to ensure everything is ready for the pre-records and striking studio once recorded
- Vision Mixing including source switching, mixing, with or without director’s instructions
- Sound balancing of recorded/live material, including setting up and playing in of material, setting up sound equipment including positioning and testing of microphones
- Technical Co –ordination of the pre-records and liaising with studio engineers including cueing and communicating with presenters and guests, operating the studio lighting desk, rigging and setting lamps in the studio to production requirements, operating camera controls to ensure high quality matched camera outputs
- Camera operations to rig and operate studio cameras with or without direction
- Technically oversee the production of content for pre-recorded continuity links and shorts - ingesting, recording, editing and delivering material for transmission and media asset management
- To be responsible for handling problems encountered with recordings, taking into account editorial priorities
- Directing continuity links and location shoots when required
- Ingesting and editing all studio, promotional and short form content using Adobe Premiere Pro for linear and digital platforms ensuring all elements are correctly logged and reviewed before delivery
- Responsible for the delivery of all links to broadcast operations for transmission in a timely manner
- Creating graphics for inclusion within studio, promotions and short form content and for use on digital and websites
- Material content upload for digital and social media sites on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and You Tube and publishing on websites
- To administer all paperwork relating to content delivery and edits
- Ensure all content meets Ofcom regulations, music clearance and reporting requirements and adheres to technical broadcasting standards
- To maintain and develop operational and technical standards in resourcing including the assistance in the planning of programme content and the resolution of technical queries
- To be familiar with different technical systems and to show a willingness to learn to operate new technology systems and to be able to adapt to different working methods
- Expected and encouraged to be proactive on health and safety issues relating to studio and location work
- To contribute to the training of team members
- Generating ideas to expand the brand and commercial opportunities, working with commercial, consumer products and events teams
- Other office duties as required
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE:
- Solid TV production and live studio experience in a fast paced television environment, preferably in UK preschool market
- Solid experience of video editing Adobe Premiere Pro/After Effects (self-operating), HTML/XML, CMC, Photoshop (graphic design) and an understanding of 3D/2D animation
- Demonstrable technical abilities in studio/location camera, sound, lighting, vision mixing and the ability to acquire technical skills and to operate technical equipment
- A good knowledge and commitment to providing output of technical high quality
- Strong understanding of operational and production requirements
- Experience directing multi-camera in studio and location directing
- Experience of producing content for multi-platforms
- Experience of managing and uploading content for social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and You Tube and a clear awareness of how to use them to attract and engage the target audience
- Knowledge of the UK kids programme market and current channels’ output
- Good knowledge of Ofcom broadcast regulations and working with children guidelines
- Working knowledge of broadcasting research and digital analytics
- Working knowledge of the importance of rights/copyright/clearance issues
- Excellent I.T. Skills including PowerPoint and Excel and experience using a Broadcast Media Management system (e.g. WON, Tedial)
- Sufficient level of hearing and colour vision required for this post
- Editorial: Understands how to create content in line with the target audience
- Technical: Understands how to use systems and equipment to a high standard and to deliver on the content requirements. Has knowledge of new technologies and a desire to learn new skills quickly.
- Communication: Ability to communicate effectively with others and keep them informed on progress and able to maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of people
- Innovation: Always thinking creatively about new ideas and ways of bringing amazing content to audiences
- Collaboration: Facilitates collaboration and sense of shared purpose internally and externally and ability to establish harmonious working relationships with a variety of personalities
- Relationship management: The ability to build and develop relationships quickly with a variety of individuals and network
- Strong personality: Tough, adaptable and resilient and able to work with robust personalities
- Administration: Ability to work consistently and accurately with an excellent attention to detail and manage time effectively
- Work Planning: Detail orientated and ability to prioritise, plan, multi-task and organise activities and to work calmly under pressure to meet deadlines
- Proactive: The ability to get things done and respond to pressure and change
- Team work: Works well in a team and ability to delegate and support others
- Market Knowledge: Identifies and understands emerging developments in the market
Interviews for this position will commence in mid April 2019.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. This spec summaries the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform.
Our Recruitment Privacy Notice for Viacom entities in the EEA and Switzerland is available: