Real Estate and Development Reporter
- Job Reference: 80210455-2
- Date Posted: 9 February 2019
- Recruiter: Kansas City Business Journal
- Location: Kansas City, Missouri
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Broadcasting, Journalism
- Job Type: Permanent
The Kansas City Business Journal is looking for a top-notch
reporter to cover commercial real estate.
The real estate beat is the essence of top-level reporting. It
requires building - and working - strong source networks to dig out
deals before the competition and reporting both the dollar value
and the broad impact of new projects, new employers and new
players. We need someone who is driven to do the hard work of
digging up news and intrigued by the challenge of putting together
the pieces of news to present the larger picture of the forces
shaping our community. From expansions, relocations and other
deals, to coverage of important real estate events, trends and
executives, a good Business Journal reporter is editor of his or
her own beat coverage, and is easily able to assess what merits a
story, an in-depth investigation or just a brief.
The ideal candidate can marry strong traditional journalism skills
- source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess,
strong analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing,
document use - with online and social media know-how. Whatever the
platform, he or she produces content that is accompanied by
perspective and context for a vibrant audience of business owners,
executives and professionals in the region.
A Business Journal reporter is competitive, collaborative and
curious. He or she is expected to contribute both short- and
long-form stories to our news products online, in email, on mobile
and in print. Specifically, our reporters are expected to own every
important story on their beats; use networking events, social media
platforms and other community-building outlets to expand and
fortify their source base and audience; work collaboratively with
other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of
stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience
engagement. Also, scoops matter. A lot.
• Proven excellence in reporting and writing
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy
events and sources
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in
person, on the phone and online
• A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content
that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera,
• Minimum of 2-3 years of journalism experience.
• Proven experience building and maintaining a strong source
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active
• Knowledge of business principles essential.
• Kansas City community experience a plus.
B.A. in journalism, or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a resume, snappy cover letter and links to clips
that best show enterprise and scoops reporting to Beth Hunt,
director of editorial recruiting and development, American City