Merman Television was founded in 2014 by award-winning duo Sharon Horgan and Clelia Mountford. Since then, Merman has gathered multiple accolades the world over, including BAFTA, Emmy and RTS nominations. Merman has expanded globally since launch and has offices in London, New York and Los Angeles. Merman now includes a world renowned commercial production arm and short form content company via Merman’s sister company Mermade.
Merman’s recent TV projects include: There She Goes for BBC4, starring David Tennant and Jessica Hynes; Women on the Verge for UKTV’s W channel, starring Kerry Condon, Nina Sosanya and Eileen Walsh and written by Lorna Martin; Motherland for BBC2 starring Anna Maxwell Martin, Lucy Punch and Diane Morgan; Bliss for Sky 1 starring Heather Graham and Stephen Mangan; the fourth series of the award-winning Catastrophe for Channel 4/Amazon created by and starring Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney and Divorce by Sharon Horgan for HBO starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Hayden Church, with many more in development and production.
- Senior Comedy Development Producer.
- Based at our London offices in Blackfriars Road, Southwark, London SE1.
AIMS OF THE JOB
- Reporting to the co-founders, the Senior Comedy Development Producer will originate and develop scripted comedy ideas with the aim of securing new commissions.
- Supporting the Merman team in areas including the development of commissioned projects, recommending key writing, directing, producing and acting talent.
- Working on initiatives around development strategy and helping to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the development slate.
- Day to day leadership of all comedy projects in development.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrable senior comedy producer and senior comedy development experience.
- Meeting with writers, producers, agents and directors in order to identify and develop new talent and projects.
- Experience of proven successes on shows in a leadership role.
- To proactively seek out and nurture upcoming diverse talent both on and off the screen in order to foster an inclusive environment.
- To be involved in all aspects of the development process from conception to delivery of pitch documents, scripts, pilots or taster tapes.
- To have a passion and extensive knowledge of both UK and international comedy and comedy drama across all media including an awareness of the book market.
- Excellent contacts and reputation within the industry having already built strong working relationships with agents and talent.
- Good understanding of the international market, co-production and commercial opportunities in all media.
- Experience of script reading, script structuring and story-telling with sound editorial judgement and sensitivity, both verbally and on paper through strong and inspired notes.
- Experience of influencing, negotiating and communicating effectively both internally and with external agencies/parties.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent administrative and organisational skills.
- Ability to work unsupervised, exercising initiative and assessing priorities but referring issues upwards when appropriate.
- Good leadership skills and the ability to present to the board of the company when required.
- Experience and knowledge of managing financial budgets and production schedules and an awareness of the financial consequences of editorial decisions.
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Management of Comedy Development Co-ordinator.
Merman Television is an equal opportunities employer.