Job Title: Senior Director of Content Strategy, CC, CCX & Paramount
Team: Programming & Planning
Reports to: VP, General Manager, Comedy Central & Paramount Channels
Comedy Central UK, a joint venture between Viacom and BskyB, is the UK’s biggest comedy network – comprising 4 channels - Comedy Central (and +1) and Comedy Central Extra (and +1) as well as a significant digital footprint across mutliple digital platforms including Facebook, Youtube, Snapchat and Instagram.
Aimed at 16-34 year olds we show the very best content from the UK and US including original commissions such as Roast Battle, Your Face or Mine, Drunk History, Russell Howard & Mum and Blockbusters as well as exclusive acquisitions from the US including Friends, Impractical Jokers, South Park and The Daily Show.
Off air, the channel continues to build its brand experience offering, with award winning Friendsfest entering its 5th year and most recently Comedy Central Live, a stand up and experiential festival featuring over 100 of the biggest names in Comedy.
Paramount Network is a premium entertainment destination with bold scripted and non-scripted series featuring big characters and big stories.
Launched in 2018, Paramount Network is available across the UK as a free-to-air destination for premium scripted drama and high quality comedy such as Suits, Designated Survivor, Agent Carter, and The Mick, as well as movies featuring some of the brightest stars.
The programming and planning team are fully responsible for the creation and delivery of the content strategy for Comedy Central, Comedy Central Extra and Paramount channels, ensuring that all aspects of content planning and scheduling is executed in line with commercial and brand targets across linear and VOD platforms, with input into digital and live events.
The Senior Director of Content Strategy is responsible for overseeing the editorial (content, programming and scheduling) strategy for Comedy Central, Comedy Central Extra and Paramount portfolio of channels in the UK, leading the programming and planning team whilst working closely with our UK cluster of channels, as well as with digital, marketing, affiliate, legal and commercial teams.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Work with the VP General Manager to develop the overarching editorial and content strategy for Comedy Central, Comedy Central Extra and Paramount UK portfolio of channels across every consumer touchpoint whether expressed on linear, digital or in live events/ experiences
- Responsible for communicating the vision, strategic priorities and targets for the portfolio of channels to internal teams, key stakeholders and other business departments
- Act as an ambassador for the portfolio of channels, with the ability to present compelling strategic narratives and visions to senior stakeholders in Viacom and externally to key clients and affiliate partners where necessary
- Lead the programming and planning team effectively providing clarity of objectives, targets and prioritisation of workloads, including personal development, support and training for all team members
- Manage and oversee the implementation of the long-term, mid and short-term scheduling strategy for Comedy Central/ CCX and Paramount channels – with a core numerical and data-driven focus on daily optimisation, research based analysis and competitive context to ensure that KPIs and targets are achieved
- Responsible for effective and efficient scheduling of content that delivers to annual commercial targets, whilst reflecting the brand, tone and editorial ambition of the channel. Working closely with commissioning and acquisition teams to recommend and steer their briefs.
- Work closely with audience forecasting and finance team to lead the annual budget and LRP presentations for Comedy Central and Paramount as well as any ad hoc strategic initiatives such as EPG moves, channel launches etc.
- Identify and anticipate performance challenges to senior stakeholders with ownership of issues and solutions; based upon numerical and data analysis, interpreting patterns and significant anomalies leading to action plans
- Proactively recommend ways to improve channel performance through relentless data driven analysis of schedules and audience and research data, combined with editorial judgement
- Proactively recommend content and commercial initiatives and strategies to drive growth of the channels in linear and non-linear environments
- Responsible for portfolio management of content assets across Comedy Central, CCX and Paramount, engaging with other Viacom channels as appropriate to agree strategic and collaborative windowing, sharing and scheduling of content across linear and non-linear platforms including digital and VOD
- Lead the growth initiatives around VOD content and scheduling, working with distribution and affiliate partner teams to ensure we are maximising financial and editorial opportunities across non-linear platforms
- Responsible for the implementation of all agreed editorial decisions regarding the programme schedule, ensuring a professional scheduling service to the channels and ensure that the schedule is implemented at all required deadlines.
- Lead on input into how Comedy Central and Paramount’s brands and content are represented across live events and digital outlets as well as on linear and VOD channels
- Work collaboratively with other key disciplines and senior stakeholders in the business; finance, legal, digital, marketing, ad sales, creative and comms
- Support any Viacom programming initiatives and projects, including new channel launches as appropriate
Ideal Candidate Specification:
- Experienced broadcast professional ideally with a content and programming background
- Highly numerical, analytical and data-orientated approach – research based experience a plus
- Strategic thinker with a strong sense of editorial and analytical judgement
- A charismatic leader showing a track record of engaging, leading and inspiring teams, especially during periods of change
- Strong communicator with the ability to present a vision and narrative to senior stakeholders in a compelling and authoritative way
- In-depth understanding of research and ratings data with the ability to read numerical patterns and trends and identify anomalies as well as assumptions and determine action plans
- Proactive outlook, ability to spot an opportunity and drive initiatives forward independently
- Flexibility, resourcefulness and ability to forward plan to deliver results in a rapidly evolving media landscape and against changing business priorities
- Highly motivated, with a demonstrable passion for Comedy Central and Paramount channels
Our values, and their related behaviours, guide how we show up to work each day and help ensure that we all treat each other with respect. We want these to feel relevant to all of our employees and all parts of the business, as we believe that when these behaviours are achieved, we are the best we can be. The three values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
- Creativity: Push beyond the expected
- Passion: Stand up for what you believe in
- Risk-Taking: Take smart choices
- Inclusion: Embrace diverse perspectives
- Collaboration: Work together as one team
- Innovation: Use insights to drive the business
- Trust: Assume best intentions
- Transparency: Communicate clearly and openly
- Accountability: Deliver, and own the outcome
- Private Medical Insurance: You will be eligible for our full Private Medial Cover (From 3 months)
- Season Ticket Loan: We’ll pay for your season travel card up front and you can pay us back across the year
- TV Package Discount: If you subscribe for the likes of Sky and Virgin Media, we’ll get £20 off your bill
- Pension Scheme: You will be eligible for our Pension Scheme from day one, as long as you are contributing to this, we’ll top this up with a voluntary contribution from us
- Discounted Gym Membership: We offer discounts to a number of Gyms
- Discounts at Local Shops and Restaurants: Whether you need a new pair of shoes or just want something tasty for lunch, we partner with a number of local businesses to offer us a discounted rate
- Access to Reward Gateway: With heaps of discounts on everyday shops, restaurants and household suppliers
At Viacom, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. This spec summaries the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform.
Our Recruitment Privacy Notice for Viacom entities in the EEA and Switzerland is available: