Job Title Technology Specialist, Video Systems
Reports to: Director of Global Video Technology
Hours: 0800-1600 or 1100 to 1900 as required
Location: The Interchange, Oval Road, Camden Lock, London NW1 7DZ
To provide mission critical support of the video production systems in London, Washington DC, New York and bureaus, support of users with complex workflow issues, regional and remote workflows for staff based around the world. Project work to deliver innovative solutions to meet operational and business needs, often required to be delivered at short notice. Ongoing support for mission critical systems, including software developed, specifically in house.
The role will require covering out-of-hours on-call on a Rota basis and may also require working shifts (early starts/late finishes)
Main areas of responsibility
- Supporting a large file-based video production system and workflows around ingest, editing, transcoding, distribution, and archive. Which includes the key technology components of; Grass Valley, ENPS, Final Cut Pro, Gallery Sienna, Adobe Premiere, EMC/Isilon storage, Apple Mac computers, AWS workflows and AWS Workspaces
- Liaising with users and other technical teams (based globally) to identify and resolve issues, in a time sensitive basis.
- Pro-active system health monitoring and system maintenance
- Testing software and patches prior to deployment.
- Project engineering for innovation projects or major system upgrades
- Transcoding systems and compression profiles
- Specialist support for Washington DC & New York based engineers
- Video archive & user support
- Support of the IP Delivery head end and other distribution technologies.
- Specialist support for CTC transcoding, regional workflow systems.
- Resolution of complex issues escalated by the Global Help Desk, Operational Control Centre and Customer Support teams
- The team is responsible for the onboarding of new partners and the daily support of the video hub marketplace.
- Research new broadcast technologies and make recommendations to improve news gathering and broadcast production.
- Provide support for convergent broadcast & IT technologies
- Provide comprehensive documentation, user training for innovation projects
- Detail all work carried out using a centralized ticketing system
Must possess excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills, be pro-active and able to work on own initiative and have technical experience working in a broadcast video or media production environment.
Proven experience in the following is required of the job role:
- Technical support or integration of non-linear editing software
- Broadcast automation and control
- Video servers/ IT based Ingest and play-out servers
- Newsroom Computer Systems (NRCS) e.g. AP ENPS
- Cloud based technologies, with proven experience of AWS (S3, EC2, WorkSpaces)
- File-based workflows from camera to customer
- Video transcoding
- Windows Server
- Mac OSX
- Working knowledge of databases, XML, JSON
- Complete understanding of customer non-linear server technology and SD/HD video production systems
- Good understanding of hybrid video and IP (smpte 2022) & streaming technologies
- Detailed understanding of video and audio measurements and quality assessment
- Familiar with video storage technology (NAS & SAN based)
- Travel is required, sometimes on short notice
- Be on call via a company cell phone according to rota
- Work on holidays and special events when required
- Must have experience of working in a broadcast environment
- Desired - Microsoft Server certification. (e.g. MCSA)
- Desired - Apple Desktop certification (e.g. ACSP)
- Desired - Broadcast Technology certification – HNC, CBNT, or equivalent
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision
- Experience of working in a global team & working at home (when required)
- Organisational and time management skills with the ability to prioritise your workload.
- Work effectively under pressure
- Team player
- Problem solver and lateral thinker
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
All applicants must be able to work in the UK or be able to gain permission to work in the UK.
The closing date for applications is Friday 9th April 2021.